Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Can't Keep a Good Body -- Down, Out, or Quiet!

"Can't Keep a Good Body - Down, Out, or Quiet!"

Nothing prepares us for horror of finding a body this morning like last ride into locked, loaded city; bread broken with a marked man; words choked from a criminal's cross.

Found bodies likely lead to more deaths.

In Balkans: "The victim's grave becomes blessed point of departure for next murder." So many wars start in our memory; "the death penalty lies in waiting in our hearts." (Jim Douglass)

"No Body" found this morning, no excuse to recycle vengeance forever; no excuse, either, to exculpate misguided guards, bribed to tell stories of theft by disciples -- in exchange for protection from their own Protector? Still quaking most, in our own boots, self-anointed investors in things as we are, still misguarding Jesus, seeing that nobody messes with him who stays safely dead!

Where were we for Jesus anyway? Crucified, harassed, humiliated, taunted, tortured, denied, deserted, dying on cross, all alone, without us! So confident we could follow him anywhere? How long do we take to shake it all out? We nobodies of the No Body of all? Resurrected in spite of ourselves!



* * * * *




"I am! Somebody! I am! Somebody! I may be old! I may be weak!


I may be poor! I may be in the street! I may be on welfare! But I am! SOMEBODY! Respect me! Protect me! Do not neglect or reject me!


I am! Somebody! My head can conceive it! My heart can believe it!


My hands can achieve it! I am! Somebody!" (Jesse Jackson)




"No Body" changing world of "nobodies." From nobody to somebody,


anybody to everybody! Nobody left "out of body!" Behind every locked door


a brother! Behind every nailed gate a sister! Come out, come out,


wherever we are! Until there is nobody here . . .








No comments:

Post a Comment