Friday, April 15, 2011

Not Even a Horse But an Ass

"Not Even a Horse but an Ass" Young Palestinian organizer, Arab-American Action League, Chicago: "I always wanted a job that begins the moment I wake up in the morning and ends only the moment I go to sleep at night." I always wanted a life like that, commencing the moment I'm born, consummating only the moment I die! Jesus, going the distance, no life-support systems for him, no extraordinary means, interventions to keep him from fullest possible embrace, wholeness of life, pain of remaining true to ourselves as we know us. Dr. King, also organizing, dangerous demos, peaceful parades, martyred in Memphis, murdered in faith, respecting life without illusion -- "I'd like to have a long life. Longevity has its place. But it really doesn't matter with me now. I have been to the mountaintop. I have looked out over the promised land. I may not get there with you. But we as a people will get to the promised land!"

* * * * *


Jesus transfiguring, confirming baptism, "Servant King," not so much, as worldly kings do, serving by ruling, deigning to reigning, control over others. Rather, ruling only by serving -- by justice, by joy, by food, by feet, by liberation, by love, by suffering, even by death -- Not serving death! No shortage of leaders do that. The opposite: Serving by death! Refusing to kill! Ungrasping of Cosmic Equality. Unsummonsing help on the cross, no earthly sword, no heavenly legion, laying down life for others, others no one else even knows, or cares, are there, anonymous, ignominious others, hailing him into the city this day, between whom he is to hang, dying.

How are we to choose a parade for marking our memories? How like this Poet, Teacher, Artist, Organizer? "Farcically, on a donkey," "lampooning the Davidic kingship by paradoxical reversal!" What kind of king, more committed to giving than taking of life, of lives? "The human being who has no place to lay his head is the same 'king' who has nothing and must borrow -- not even a horse -- an ass!" (Walter Wink)

* * * * *


Like Gandhi! Fellow Fanciful Feather-Ruffler! Leaving to note at his death: glasses, robe, book or two, walking stick, spinning wheel -- Outlandish, outlawish -- publicly practicing deep ease with ruckus, with children -- living justice, loving joy -- just as we taught -- and forgot!

Spectacles! Fools for Christ's sake! Even now from Wilderness Margins, from Serpentine Showdowns, disempowering Self -- Who could have been "Equal with God" -- urging others to be reempowered through him? "I love the sound of dried palms crunching." "Put my ashes on thick; I want other people to ask me what they mean!" (Mary Noer, confirmand)

Hail the Temptation of Triumphal Entry! "Precipitous Withdrawal"??


Come end of the week, who's remembered? What names? John Proctor, Crucibled One, clearly no "angel," clinging heroically, fragile dignity, decency, name only identity, better and worse -- "You will not use me. It is no part of my salvation that you should use me!" I have given you my soul; leave me my name!" (Arthur Miller) "Leaving our names," proffered proof we have been there, parts of the action -- Seeds of Subversified Memories? Re-minded, re-hearted, re-souled? Finished not even with Caiphas, Pilate, Judas, Peter, anointers, abandoners -- yet?



No comments:

Post a Comment